Privacy/Data Protection (and related topics): general readings and resources
Compiled by Silvia De Conca, Aviva de Groot, Jenneke Evers
Since these subjects often overlap, see also the sources available in the ‘AI/Machine Learning/Regulation of Technology’ list.
Freely access handbooks and reports from the European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights and/or the Council of Europe:
- FRA Handbook on Data Protection;
- FRA Handbook on non-discrimination;
- Case law concerning art. 8 ECHR (you can find case-law on the other ECHR provisions too);
- Council of Europe’s HELP course (Human Rights Education for Legal Professionals) programme.
Additional specific data/privacy sources:
- Being Profiled: Cogitas Ergo Sum, 10 Years of Profiling the European Citizen, by E. Bayamlioglu e.a., Amsterdam: AUP 2019;
- Group Privacy, by L. Taylor e a., Springer 2017.
Comprehensive reports curated by research institutes and civil society:
- Brussels Privacy Hub reports;
- Algorithm Watch’s reports;
- Data Justice Lab;
- Harvard’s Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society.
Some open access technology/regulation/interdisciplinary journals and sources:
- Stanford’s Plato Dictionary (see voice ‘Privacy’);
- Surveillance & Society (latest issue is open access).